Monday, November 5, 2012

Spanish Tercio - 30mm Flats


"Watercolor" camera setting

Well, at least a portion of it.  I ran out of men with angled pikes for the 2nd rank but the idea is eventually to at least double this formation.   Most of the flats are from Alexander Wilken's Landsknechte series, with a few Scholtz Conquistadors and misc. pikemen added to the mix. Painted with acrylics, as usual.






At the moment, I'm painting more flats, a few Hinsch arquebusiers suitable for the Wars of Religion / 80 Years War.  I've also got a few 54mm Thirty Years War infantry flats, trying to work up the courage to paint flats that size. The order of later landsknechts & reiters has gone missing, I'm afraid.  Either between the Deutsche Post and USPS somebody fumbled the handoff, or worse - the package was stolen from my mailbox. Hoping it was the former as there's a chance they'll eventually turn up.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice! Love the colours.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Simon. That's one of the good things about the Renaissance for painters, it was a colorful era.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! They look great. It looks to me like the sort of thing one could almost get addicted to painting. Another reason for me to stay away.

    I'll cross my figures that the package shows. I've had few things go awol but the one that sticks out was a lot of almost 10 Schneider & Airfix? FPW molds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ross. Glad you like them. And yes, flats are like crack, you won't be able to paint just one. Sure you wouldn't like me to send you a few free samples ? ;-)

    Ouch, 10 Schneider molds gone missing, that's painful. BTW, someone on UK eBay is selling 45mm Schneider castings, nicely grouped (such as a very attractive Prussian 3-gun battery w/crew)and already primed for painting. Very tempting, must resist...must resist.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, just superb! You lead the field in this. Top hole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, AlFront. I must confess that "top hole" is an expression previously unknown to me, but in the context of your other comments, I take that as a big positive.

    Best regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely stuff, Steve ... sorry to hear about the lost order ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, SoA.... I appreciate the kind words and the commiseration. There's some hope for salvaging the situation with the lost order, I'm working with the seller on that.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice painting style, love the colors and presentation!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Phil. It's good to see the old posts still get some attention now and then.

    Regards,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete