Thursday, January 10, 2019

Heinrichsen Flat Cavalry - 45mm




Here's a squadron of cavalry I just completed, 45mm flats. Heinrichsen set # 6017, Pruess. Reitende Artillerie 1830. The designs date to 1845. Nominally they are supposed to be 60mm. But with these old figures, the cavalry are smaller than the foot. Suits me fine because they fit my ca.1830 project perfectly.  Stylistically, as you would expect from their antique nature, they are somewhat toylike. But to my eyes all the better for it.
It's interesting that they're sold as horse artillery, but as there's a corresponding set with caisson & gun, perhaps they are meant to be outriders ? Practically speaking they work fine as any light cavalry, and the painting guide also shows them as Englische Dragoner. I painted them as Prussians, but they'll serve quite well for the bellicose army of der Grolshken Reich.
The command.
Sample troopers.
And a parting shot.
There's also another trumpeter which I did not paint.  I'm saving him for conversion to a standard bearer, although soldering will be required.  Something I have no experience with, but then how hard can it be ?  😉

10 comments:

  1. I can vouch that its really easy to do it wrong but have yet to experience doing it right.

    I'd be tempted to trim the bugle, trim the hand a bit, file a notch for a flagstaff, superglue it then use a tiny bit of putty to do the hand.

    However I look forward to seeing the soldered conversion. I really need to learn to manage a bit soldering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good feedback, Ross. Yes, I was nervous about the soldering too. I see what you're saying and it makes perfect sense. I was thinking to redo the whole arm but I like your suggestion a lot better. Cut off the horn, leave the arm alone but file and repaint the hand to give the impression he is holding the flag staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soldering isn't difficult but with these fine tin figures it's very easy to melt away part of the figure by accident, personally i wouldn't try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brian. Low melting point, that makes perfect sense. You and Ross have convinced me.

      Delete
  4. They look great - the poses are classic and painting outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well done painting. The designs would have suited mainstream German tastes at the time they were created, in the last years of the Biedermeier period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rahwey. Spot on, the figures fit right into Heinrichsen's category, Biedermeierzeit.

      Delete