Saturday, February 14, 2015

Toy Town Soldiers - Part 2



In the previous post, I mentioned that the children's play horse cavalry mounts in this range were not quite to my liking. Thus my attempt to create an alternative.  Using Toob toy horses seemed a possible alternative.  Of course, they have no saddles and other tack for a cavalry horse, bring the Green Stuff into play.


And in comparison to the castings.


This would challenge my modest mold-making skills more than a semi-round figure where all the extremities are close to the center line of the mold halves.  Rather than have something go wrong with the legs recessed into the mold cavity with little visibility as to how to salvage it, I decided to cut off the legs and mold these via a separate drop.  While they cast well enough, I erred in removing the legs with a straight cut. Much better to have cut them in a v-shape to facilitate a stronger bond and easier fit upon assembly. 

So lots of extra filing and test fitting headaches from this mistake. Compounding the problems, the left side of the horse's body cast beautifully but for some reason I couldn't get a clean impression on the right.  The second try was a little better but then I had run out of mold making compound.  So not only is there fiddling with attaching the legs, but now one side of the casting has to be patched with green stuff to salvage the deformed head and gaps in the reins.  Arrgh ! 

Was it worth the hassle ?  Let's take a look.  In comparison with the standard horse, on which I cut the wheels off and shimmed the base a little.



And relative to an infantryman:



Pickets of the Celtican Chasseurs à Cheval.

 
 
 

I painted the eyes for a more toy-like look but overall I'm not sure if the chunky proportions of this pony hit the mark for a light cavalry horse.  Seems like he'd make a better mount for the cuirassiers but perhaps I can file the legs a little.  Then too the rider's boots should at least be level with the horse's stomach but perhaps our rider is a bit short-legged because overall he looks reasonably in proportion with his mount.

I'd like to get your opinions on using this horse or Eureka's.   Honestly, I'd be tempted to just go with Eureka here but for the marked shortness of the toy horse fore & aft. 

14 comments:

  1. These are brilliant! totally inspiring and fun!
    Cheers
    Ths

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid! I think you've done a great job, producing a cavalryman that is far superior to the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take that as a "yes" vote on the new horse. Thanks, arthur1815.

      Delete
  3. You did a great job! I agree, the original horses are not too impressive. I think any work what you invest to find replacement is worth it. So my vote is yes for the new horses. If I was You might give it a try with those flatish Playmobile horses, just an idea, looks more toy, esaier to remake, But have no idea about the size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Janos. Good suggestion about the Playmobil horses, although I doubt if they come small enough. But know what you mean about the style.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant work on both counts. I will have to confuse the issue and say I like the Eureka horse better (to my eye it has a more toy soldier look than the more rounded Toob pony which looks a bit modern). I like the idea of wheeled horses but wheels would look better on a bigger steed so the finished Eureka cavalry looks the business to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I welcome your opionion, Springinsfeld. I don't dislike the basic design of the Eureka horses, a simple barrel with head/tail sections attached. And the wheels can be chopped. It's just that to my own perception, the barrel section is unacceptabley short. The Eureka commander's horses are noticeably longer-legged but have the same truncated effect.

      Your post and Janos' have given me good food for thought. Quite possibly an original sculpt will answer and any crudity imparted by the lack of scuplting talent could actually work in my favor here. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I am torn here but since it looks like I will not reach a definite decision I'll just report on the confusion. At first I did not like the wheeled horse at all but the more I looked at it the more I could see the toy wooden horse in him. Best done in white with spots I think to highlight the effect. Not sure I'd have the chutzpah to do it though.

    The wheel less one still looks very appropriate. To my eye, while the new toy horse looks more real, it doesn't seem to mesh well with the style of the figurines.

    I'm not sure what size the figures are, I wonder if something like one of the old 30mm Mini Marx horses would fit? If one had one.

    Bottom line is that all of the samples look pretty good so any of the options will probably do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughtful response, Ross. Your point about the style makes a lot of sense to me, I feel that too. Perhaps if not overtly a toy horse, something resembling the old Heyde horses would do nicely.

      Delete
  6. Your "Revised" horse is far superior in my humble opinion.

    Jay Stribling - Jackson MS

    ReplyDelete