In the previous post, I mentioned that the children's play horse cavalry mounts in this range were not quite to my liking. Thus my attempt to create an alternative. Using Toob toy horses seemed a possible alternative. Of course, they have no saddles and other tack for a cavalry horse, bring the Green Stuff into play.
And in comparison to the castings.
This would challenge my modest mold-making skills more than a semi-round figure where all the extremities are close to the center line of the mold halves. Rather than have something go wrong with the legs recessed into the mold cavity with little visibility as to how to salvage it, I decided to cut off the legs and mold these via a separate drop. While they cast well enough, I erred in removing the legs with a straight cut. Much better to have cut them in a v-shape to facilitate a stronger bond and easier fit upon assembly.
So lots of extra filing and test fitting headaches from this mistake. Compounding the problems, the left side of the horse's body cast beautifully but for some reason I couldn't get a clean impression on the right. The second try was a little better but then I had run out of mold making compound. So not only is there fiddling with attaching the legs, but now one side of the casting has to be patched with green stuff to salvage the deformed head and gaps in the reins. Arrgh !
Was it worth the hassle ? Let's take a look. In comparison with the standard horse, on which I cut the wheels off and shimmed the base a little.
And relative to an infantryman:
Pickets of the Celtican Chasseurs à Cheval.
I painted the eyes for a more toy-like look but overall I'm not sure if the chunky proportions of this pony hit the mark for a light cavalry horse. Seems like he'd make a better mount for the cuirassiers but perhaps I can file the legs a little. Then too the rider's boots should at least be level with the horse's stomach but perhaps our rider is a bit short-legged because overall he looks reasonably in proportion with his mount.
I'd like to get your opinions on using this horse or Eureka's. Honestly, I'd be tempted to just go with Eureka here but for the marked shortness of the toy horse fore & aft.