Friday, February 21, 2014
PA Cavalry Conversion: 40mm Semi-Rounds
I had hoped to show more painted results of the latest figure conversion but had a setback in the mold making stage of the process, more about which later. For now, the story begins with Prince August cavalry. While we're relatively spoiled for choice with the infantry, there are four main cavalry trooper figures which can be cast. First we have good old PA11 and the identical pose in its newer, more fully rounded version:
This seems to be the hands down favorite, and we also see a very similar figure as the mainstay of everyone's Spencer Smith cavalry arm. I like this one but he looks very Swedish to me in style and the hell-for-leather charge was probably not the norm for most armies' cavalry doctrine of the era. And of course we have the pistol wielding PA48 and the nice, but rather static dragoon PA41.
Both these latter figures certainly have their uses, but sticking to sword-armed cavalry it comes down to Molds # 11 or Mold # 935 painted in his "Wild Geese" livery in the top photo. # 935 seems to be not nearly as popular, perhaps in part due to difficulty in casting the sword fully. Further, there are things about the figure which are not quite right. The horse's head looks oversized, the hind quarters a bit skimpy and angular, the pistols oddly mounted forward and too low on the body instead of up near the saddle. But I do very much like the pose, so let's see what can be done here:
As can be seen in the comparison shot, what I have done to the rider is bulk up the flattish tricorne, also give him a fuller coat and cuffs. I beefed up the sword a bit to get a stronger cast, with the intention of filing it after casting. The horse and tack get some attention as well: among other things, filed down the head a little, added more definition to the hind quarters, amputed the pistol holsters and replaced with green ones.
So far so good, I think. Last weekend I made a new mold with eager anticipation of casting and painting this new figure. The first half came out fine. Unfortunately, had a bit of a disaster where a small portion of the second mold have stuck to the first despite the use of mold separation cream. Evidently I missed a spot. And this damage fell right across part of the horse, ruining the castings. Why not just re-do the second half, you ask ? Good question ! And I would have done so but for the lack of sufficient RTV compound. Rather than taking the sensible course of ordering more and waiting, I tried patching the 2nd half, would up cutting extra channels in the original half as a work-around and to sum up, botched the whole thing. So we're a week or two away from seeing this figure actually painted.
In the meantime, I've also started on the infantry command figures. The standard bearer is finished, the drummer just under way. I'll soon show these in subsequent postings.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting conversion.I look forward to seeing this chap painted.ReplyDelete
I neglected to comment on your previous post but have to say how utterly splendid the chaps look- beautiful work indeed!
Thanks very much, tradgardmastare. The shipment of mold-making compound arrived yesterday, should be able to produce some before long.ReplyDelete
This may be the last such post, a casting fixed up with blobs of green stuff here and there just doesn't carry the same visual impact as concluding the process with a painted figure.
A very neat job indeed - top hole!ReplyDelete
Thanks, AlFront. Got the first examples cast successfully (for the most part) over the weekend. Should have an example painted before too long.ReplyDelete
Just realized I didn't comment on this when ir was new. The revised figures look really good. I'll be interested to see how the mold making process for the horse goes. Looks like a tricky business.ReplyDelete
Have you seen the latest PA flyer/web update on swappable head SYW molds?
Thanks, Ross. And no worries, any comments delayed or not are always welcome.ReplyDelete
I made the new mold and have gotten a few good casts out of it, although it's no improvement on the PA original in terms of rework rate. Should have a painted example up before long though I've gotten a bit side-tracked with some bits of modern stuff of late.
Thanks for the heads up on the new PA molds. Nice ! Love what they did there, all the requisite poses with no goofy stuff and mucho flexibility with the heads. Repeating this mantra to myself, "Must not start 7YW project, must not start 7YW project...."
Go on - you know you want to - and they are making the poses just for you.
Hi, Steve. Well, let's see what PA comes up with. ;-)Delete